Pie #4: Key Lime Pie

In 2007, I spent time working in South Florida for 3 months. I used it as an opportunity to test as many Key Lime Pies or any other Key Lime dessert I could find. Obviously, I found plenty as everyone had Key Lime something. I even found a room spray which I still order from a place down in the Keys. But the very first time I had Key Lime pie was back in 2005. A producer I was working with on location in Key Largo told me I had to try the pie from the resort we were staying at. I did and it was love at first bite. I then found out about Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pie in Redhook, Brooklyn and would make trips when I was missing Florida's desserts. 

Over the years, my love has stuck and so I decided I'd have to make a pie in honor of Key Limes. My friend Evan came over the other night to fix my TV and as a thank you, I made the pie (he likes Key Lime pie as much as I do it seems). It came out delicious and I am very proud of my work. I hope you take the time out to make it this summer! 



Key Lime Pie 
From Country Living

Pie Crust:
1/3 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter at room temperature
1 pinch salt
1 1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 
1 extra large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp molasses
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon


Filling: 
1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
4 extra large egg yolks
1 tbsp vanilla extract


For crust: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a medium bowl, cream sugar, butter, and salt until smooth. Add flour, egg, vanilla, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon and mix well to form a smooth dough. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle about 13 inches wide and 1/4 inch thick. Line a tart pan with a removable bottom with dough. Trim excess dough. Bake crust until browned, 12 to 15 minutes.


For filling: In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Pour into pie shell and bake until filling sets to consistency of a soft custard, about 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on a wire rack.


The ginger & molasses in the crust push this pie into the "amazing" category. It complements the tartness of the custard filling really well. I recommend two things: serve the pie with whip cream and use Nellie & Joe's Key Lime Juice. It makes all the difference, if you're not freshly squeezing your own limes that is. 

This pie was relatively simple to make. I will say the rolling of the dough was complicated and because it was so hot in my kitchen, it was next to impossible to really roll it out. I ended up putting it in the tart pan and rolling it with my knuckles. It worked. I may double the filling next time I make this so that it goes closer to the top of the pan rim and also you could make mini-pies with the dough you have left over! 

Enjoy!