Banana-Walnut Muffins



Bananas are the best because not only are they delicious, you could always use them - even when they are completely soft to the touch type of ripened. I bought some bananas last weekend and didn't eat them all during the week. By Wednesday, they got too soft to eat so I decided to let them ripen all the way so I could bake them over the weekend. Banana pudding or banana muffins was what I kept tossing between. I decided with the muffins - they would be more calorie conscious ... ha. 

In making them, I completely forgot to add the 1 egg the recipe calls for, but no biggy, they still came out delicious. The recipe comes from the Williams-Sonoma Muffins book. If you buy just one baking book in your life, let it be this one. All the muffins in this book are spectacular. It's my go-to for muffins. 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!



Banana-Walnut Muffins

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnut or canola oil
1 large egg
2-3 very ripe bananas, slightly mashed
3 tbsp buttermilk 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line with muffin cups, a muffin pan. 

Stir together flour, sugar, walnuts, baking soda and salt. 

In another bowl, whisk together the oil, egg, mashed bananas, and buttermilk until blended. Add the dry ingredients and beat until evenly combined and creamy. 

Spoon the batter into each muffin cup, filling it level with the rip of the cup. 

Bake until golden, dry, and springy to the touch - 20-25 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Unmold the muffins. Serve them warm or at room temperature, with butter. 

Makes 10 muffins.