Every Day of Summer Photo Blog: Summer Week 6

I was thinking about the movie 500 Days of Summer this week and how 1. I can't help but cry so much during that whole movie and 2. What if summer lasted all year? With the heat of these past couple of days, that thought makes me cringe. But I do love the freedom and happiness of summer. Doesn't everyone just seem a little more cheery than usual? A little more forgiving? A little more playful? It's like everyone becomes a kid again and work becomes a bit less like, well, work. Lately I feel like skipping around from the excitement I have inside of me, but I refrain and just put on some happy go lucky music and add an extra kick to my step. I like summer. But I am also really looking forward to the fall. Sweater weather. Crisp mornings and evenings. Apple cider. Pumpkin desserts. I'm getting ahead of myself ... there's still a good month to go of heat and less-stress so I'm going to try to slow it down, savor it, and remember it!


Summer Day 36: A New Teapot! It's no secret that I love tea (both the gossip and drink)! I have started to collect tea pots, tea cups, and all sorts of cute things for tea parties. Whether or not I'll ever have a tea parlor is still a mystery, but in the meantime I love finding new items for my collection. Once it's cooler, I can't wait to host more afternoon tea parties!


Summer Day 37: When the Clouds Opened Like Mad: These are never good clouds to see when you are walking right under them. I had just gotten off the train and had to stop off at the supermarket. I walked out to find these clouds and they seemed to be moving at a record pace - in the same direction I had to walk in to get home. I snapped this photo while walking, er I should say speed walking home. Luckily I made it into my apartment with a couple of minutes to spare until the sky opened.


Summer Day 38: Men Fix Things: Oh how grateful I am to men for many things, but most especially for handling things around my apartment that I can't figure out myself. I bought a new TV several months ago and haven't been able to figure out how to get my DVD player working again. Also the TV wasn't perfectly vertical and needed to be reconnected to the base. Evan swept in to save the day (in exchange for that key lime pie I posted about earlier). Turns out the DVD player cable wasn't in all the way (figures). Now my TV is back to looking normal and I can watch all the musicals I've been missing on Sunday afternoons!


Summer Day 39: Potluck BBQ with Leah & Robert: One of the sweetest, most caring couples I know, Leah & Robert are neighbors of mine who I'm lucky to have in my life. Leah watches my apartment for me, takes in my mail, and waters my plants when I'm out of town - lifesaver! We get together several times throughout the year to have potluck dinners. This time it was hosted by my parents and was a BBQ. A good time (and desserts) is always had and I'm already looking forward to the next potluck!


Summer Day 40: Mini Golf: We took my nephews to play mini golf - such fun! I hadn't done it in years and I got a hole in one! How awesome! I managed to win that game, but probably just because I was playing with kids and my most uncoordinated mother. My real competition was my dad, who I think is still mad that I won.


Summer Day 41: Trying Anything to Relieve Mosquito Bites: And as a result of my fun mini-golf game, I was eaten up alive by a certain mosquito - - which I located on my ankle a few minutes too late. What a bad allergic reaction I got! There were moments I thought I would die of West Nile and moments where I wanted to amputate my foot from all the pain and throbbing, but after 3 days the swelling subsided and the itchiness became less so that I could make it through sleeping 1 night. Ugh. I'm sure I will have a fair amount of scarring from these bites. [By the way, my extensive research this week in what helps bug bites included: tea tree oil (pretty good), witch hazel (good for a little while), calamine lotion (not so good), Benadryl spray (good for a little while), and aveeno anti-itch cream (ding ding ding, we have a winner! it's the best).]


Summer Day 42: Because Sometimes All You Want Are Milk and Cookies for Dinner: Yes, that's right: milk and cookies for dinner. I wasn't very hungry, but I had an emptiness in my stomach that felt all too familiar. The kind that can only be filled by something sweet. I turned on my oven to make just 4 cookies. I am probably totally insane for that, but the craving for cookies was just as insane. I enjoyed a glass of milk with my cookies and was able to sleep very happy that night. I typically won't have sweets at night, but given all the mosquito craziness of the week, I justified it in my head as trying to forget about the bites...