Every Day of Summer Photo Blog: Week 12

Despite Labor Day having come and gone, summer is still being savored with warm weather and sun! Week 12 was a busy one - back to school for NYC kiddies, a trip to Virginia, and the anniversary of 9.11. Bittersweet week in many ways. Here's the rundown: 


Summer Day 78: Tile Work - Sometimes NYC subway stations surprise me. This particular station at 23rd St/Ely Avenue has a gorgeous mural of a squid (??) and the colors just made me smile while walking the crowded tunnel to make a connection. It's nice that every once in awhile during your commute you could be entirely surprised. 


Summer Day 79: Back to School - NYC kids went back to school today! The local public school by my apartment was bustling when I passed by - all the kids assembled in the school yard with their new teachers. Brought back many memories of the first day of school, the many first days I had in my schooling years. The first day always brought excitement: a new uniform/clothes, new notebooks, new textbooks, new backpack and lunch bag. And then it always brought uncertainty: would I pass or fail, would my friends still be my friends, will my teacher like me? But mostly the first day of school brought a fresh start and that's how I felt on this day, even if it wasn't me standing in that school yard. It was like New Years Day all over again - making goals and outlining what you wanted for the year ahead. Maybe it's a good idea to go back to what I said I wanted to do this year on New Years Day and try to do it within the remaining months of this year!


Summer Day 80: Green Lights Go - I'm sure a lot of people will see the majestic Empire State Building when looking at this photo. But I see a green light. And for me, on this particular day, I needed to see that green light. It was time to make decisions, stick with them, and keeping it moving. 


Summer Day 81: Corinne's Bridal Shower - Early that morning I got on a flight to Virginia to surprise my cousin for her bridal shower. She didn't think any family from the North would be coming, but I couldn't miss it! It was a great time with the ladies and always fun being with my cousins (also making that tacky hat the bride has to wear made with all ribbons and bows from her gifts was very fun to make!). This bridal shower was very fun, not like many where you're just staring at the bride-to-be opening up presents, those are not so fun!


Summer Day 82: Time with Virginians! - While Day 81 was time with the young cousins, Day 82 was time with the older cousins and my Aunt Kathy. We visited Williamsburg and had dinner at Green Leafe, which was a quite delicious pub. We talked a lot about Halloween as my cousin Roy (not pictured) is knee deep in planning that holiday and all the goodness he does for it (can't wait to post photos of that). 


Summer Day 82: Beautiful Sunrise from my Early Flight Back to NYC - 6am flights are seriously not fun, especially when the weekend festivities kept you from getting solid sleep. But the amazing thing about it is watching the sun wake up. What a sight. I was so incredibly overtaken by seeing the sunrise from the sky, I think it was probably the most memorable flight I've had to date. While I've seen the sunrise over the Grand Canyon and plenty over the sea, It was so different to watch it from above the clouds.


Summer Day 84: Stars & Stripes Forever - 9.11 a day etched in all our memories. It's a day I remember so clearly like I'm sure everyone else can. While my family was beyond lucky to all have been safe, we did wait and wait and wait for my one brother to get safely back to Brooklyn from his office two blocks away from the towers. First and foremost, on this day, I'm always thankful for this country I call home. It's a country I haven't personally fought for, but a country I vehemently support in what we fight for every day - our preserve of freedom. I came across this quote on this day that brought that altogether: 
The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission. - JFK