Every Day of Summer Photo Blog: Summer Week 7

I am two weeks behind updating this blog on anything. What a crazy two weeks. I had a BBQ that took up most of my time the week before last (more about that in another post) then this past week at work was nuts so here I am frantically on a Saturday trying to do laundry, make muffins, pack for Lake George, and update all the posts I've been meaning to for the past two weeks. So here we go .... 

Week 7 of Summer provided more heat, some fall shopping, and some sharks. Yay! 

Summer Day 43: Summer Camp Kids - I do love children, but on my morning commute it's a hard pill to swallow when I walk on a subway car and find myself surrounded by bright yellow tshirts and the kids wearing them. I know they're kids and they're loud by nature, but I wish they would be quiet on the commute. I often think what I would do if I were their teacher and then I remember why I specifically didn't want to pursue a teaching career and I end at that. What's summer without the day camp kiddies? 

Summer Day 44: Crucified By Alcohol (Recycled Jesus) - an outsider art space installation at Holy Apostles Episcopal church by John Hearity (made from all recycled bottles) - I pass by the Holy Apostles church every morning on my walk to work. Each morning there is a line around the block of men waiting to go into their soup kitchen. These men do not give the air of being homeless. I never fear getting close to them and sometimes just want to hug them because they look like they need a hug. On some mornings, The Relief Bus sets up right across the street and provide even more meals, clothes, drug rehab, jobs, and various other resources to those men. It's really an uplifting sight to see in the morning - people giving up their time to volunteer and help the homeless by feeding or providing much needed resources. 

Summer Day 45: Early Purchase of Fall Shoes - I'm ready for "sweater weather" and so when I came across these booties, I couldn't resist (as if buying it would bring on the fall season more quickly). Aren't they cool/different/cute? And comfy too, big plus for all the walking I do. I can't wait till I can start wearing them! 

Summer Day 46: Italian Feast Time! - Maybe it's synonymous to summer in the boroughs, but each summer I look forward to Italian Feasts. They're church fundraisers and this one was for Our Lady of Grace in Howard Beach - which happens to be my brother's new neighborhood. It was a fun night, hot but still fun, and I got to play my favorite carnival game (what's in the picture above). My nephews had a ball and we wrapped the night eating zeppoli's - the only way to end a night at the feast. 

Summer Day 47: Succulent Plants Watering Day - Each Sunday, I gather all my succulent plants and put them in my kitchen sink and do their weekly watering. They thrive when their leaves are watered more than their soil. I have several varieties of succulents and through the past five years some of them have gotten very large and seem to be outgrowing my small apartment. These are great low-maintenance plants. I highly recommend getting a succulent in your life!  

Summer Day 48: Shark Sighting! - My mom actually took this photo so I have to give her the photo credit. This was taken in the Rockaways, a large surfing community. My mom said even with these posted everywhere, there were still surfers in the water. This summer, we've been talking a lot about sharks because my nephew Liam has developed a bit of a shark phobia. All he talks about are sharks and shark attacks and where the latest shark sightings have been. Then he talks about Jaws. Nonstop. It's hilarious. We opted to not tell him about sharks being practically in our backyard. 

Summer Day 49: Latest Obsession: 16 Handles - if you don't know about 16 Handles yet, read about them here. They are ridiculously delicious. The nice thing is you can sample flavors so I've tried to sample them all. My favorite though are dulce de leche and cookies & cream. Salted caramel comes into 3rd place. Excellent treat.