Martha Graham

My friend Karen visited me the other day and since her last visit to my apartment, there had been some changes. I repainted my hallway, added some of my travel photos to the wall, and had some other cosmetic things done. She mentioned that she knew the photos were mine because of the style of them. This got us talking about each of us having an eye for something and that eye being distinct to each of us and no one else. I told her I never understood assignments in school that required you to go to photography exhibits and study Ansel Adams or Dorothea Lange. I was never going to mimic these photographers and I never felt anyone should mimic someone else as an artist, but rather be inspired. I enjoyed those assignments merely for the study of composition and I find myself still intrigued with exhibits simply for that reason. Then we got to talking about how work affects other people (work meaning your work as an artist). I take a picture for one reason, but when someone looks at that, they think of something that I never intended them to. It's your approach and your vision, but you have nothing to do with how anyone will ever perceive something. 

This got me thinking about the effect I have on people and what people think of me. I can't control any of that. That's a pretty big realization to have because you then realize that you really can't do anything about the people who don't like you or someone who has an issue with you. You can change how you are and your approach to things, but you can't change how other people see you or what they take in from what you're giving out. 

With that random epiphany I wasn't expecting to have, Karen reminded me of a great Martha Graham quote I heard many moons ago from my HS dance teacher who studied under Ms. Graham. Funny how certain things come back to you when they're ready to... 

“There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique, and if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium; and be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, not how it compares with other expression. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is on a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.”
-Martha Graham