And the results are in ...

... my first participation in a bake-off at work - and I lost! Boo! To add more salt to the wound, those two guys I mentioned a few blogs back (Spencer and Greg) beat me! Unbelievable! 


Here are some pictures I took from the bake-off: 


 




There were 9 desserts to try out and I tried all 9 (I mean, of course I had to to give an honest vote!). My top vote went to that wonderful cake in the forefront of the middle picture above - a rum cake. Mmmmm good! I could've had that entire cake in one sitting I think. It deserved to win and it did! The two runners up were Spencer and Greg, but I told them that we all had something in common: we're all losers! Ha! I kid, I kid ... maybe. 


The dessert I made was Dulce de Leche Brownie Bites. I enjoyed them and wanted to share the recipe (although if you have a bake-off to participate in, I suggest finding the recipe for that delicious rum cake instead!). 






Ducle de Leche Brownie Bites
from The Yummy Life



  • 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips, divided; or bar chopped into chunks
  • 1/3 cup fat-free milk
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 cup Dulce de Leche 
  • 48 toasted pecan halves (optional)
  • other optional toppings: chopped nuts, mini chocolate chips, M&Ms, colored sprinkles, chopped peanut butter cups, toffee bits
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add 48 paper liners to mini muffin tins; set aside.  In small microwave-safe bowl, combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips/chunks with milk and microwave on high one minute, stirring after 30 seconds; set aside to cool a bit. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Chop remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips/chunks into smaller pieces, no bigger than pea size; add to dry ingredients. In medium bowl, whisk together eggs & vanilla; add milk/melted chocolate mixture and melted butter; whisk until combined. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients; stir just until well combined; don't over mix. Use spoon or scoop to distribute batter among 48 mini-muffin liners.  Bake 12-14 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. Be careful not to overcook or they may be too dry. Leave in muffin pans to cool completely on wire rack. With toothpick, poke 5-6 holes in top of each brownie bite. Spoon 1 teaspoon dulce de leche on top of each one. (If the dulce de leche is too thick to spread, heat in microwave 10-20 seconds to thin it some.) Top each brownie with a pecan half or other toppings, if desired.

MAKE AHEAD: May be made ahead and refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 2 weeks. Bring to room temperature before serving.

WEIGHT WATCHERS PointsPlus: 2 points per Dulce de Leche Brownie Bite