Homemade Ice Cream


For Lent this year, I gave up baked goods. Oh the sacrifice! I'm five days into Lent and already want a cupcake! But alas, 35 more days to go ... 

I'm not a big ice cream person so I didn't include it in my sacrifice. So when I came across a recipe for Banana Rum Raisin Ice Cream I thought "well, I could make this!" and so I did! Very easy, very delicious, and very satisfying in a time when having cheese for dessert is going to have to suffice! 



Banana Rum Raisin Ice Cream 
from Everyday Food 


Makes 1 1/2 Quarts


3/4 cup dark rum 
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup sugar
4 soft-ripe medium banana, coarsely chopped
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups cold heavy cream 


In a medium saucepan, combine rum, raisins, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, remove from heat, and let cool completely, 30 minutes. 


In a food processor, combine bananas and condensed milk and process until smooth, 2 minutes. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream on high until stiff peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes. With a rubber spatula, gently fold banana mixture into whipped cream. Fold in rum-raisin mixture. Pour into a 5x9 loaf pan, cover with plastic, and freeze until firm, about 8 hours (or covered, up to 1 week).