Just Like Dad's Blueberry Muffins? Not Exactly ...

There are many many memories that I have of my childhood, but I had a pleasant reminder of a particular one the other day when I was browsing the aisles of a newly opened Deal$ store in my neighborhood. It came in the form of a mix for blueberry muffins. I walked past, then took a few steps back to a box sitting on the shelf. They looked very familiar. 

When I was younger, my father would make these amazing blueberry muffins. They were larger than your average muffin and my favorite kind of muffin to eat. He'd make it every so often as a special breakfast. I never knew how he made them since he made them early in the morning or late in the evening once I was in bed. By the time I started to bake, he stopped making them. Anytime I baked blueberry muffins, I would think back to his and how mine would never taste like his. 

Except until now! 




His secret was outed when I passed that box mix of muffins! They were so familiar and I could immediately remember how they tasted. I had to get them (even with the clearly stated "made with imitation blueberry bits" disclaimer - yuck!). And then of course I had to bake them. And then I had to eat them. 





These weren't like my dad's - - at all - - I'm sure he added something special to make them better. I guess there is something to say about the person making the food - somehow their love comes through and makes it taste better. Maybe I'll give him a few boxes so he can make them for me next time!