The Southerner's Handbook

I am a born and bred Brooklyn girl, but I have an affection for the South - - so much so, I sometimes think I was a Southerner in a previous life. I love the hospitality, the food, the drawls, the sprawling fields, the mountains, the moss hanging off the trees, the heat, the tea, the pineapples, and the genuine welcomeness you feel in any of the Southern cities. I subscribe to Southern Living and visit family in Virginia and travel to any Southern city as much as I can. There's so many great places! So it only made sense to order a copy of this new book when I read about it in a recent cnn article.

I'm learning a lot from the book so far, even if I'm not living south of the Mason-Dixie line. Things like how to make a biscuit or how to season your cast iron skillet (which I recently got and apparently cleaned all wrong ... oops!). So really, you don't need to be a Southerner to do any of the things in the book. And really, let's be honest, everyone should have some of the South in them just as the South should have some of the North in them. Makes for a well-balanced individual don't it?