Berryville, VA

From November 1 - 3, I retreated at Holy Cross Abbey in the most beautiful Berryville, Virginia. It was a silent (mostly) retreat and provided a nice reprieve from the hustle and bustle of Halloween, which was a large production at my cousin's house in Williamsburg, VA. I'm sure he needed the retreat more than anyone since he had been building props and masterminding a terror night for all the kiddies since before Labor Day! But I made my way to Berryville instead and in the darkness of the night, arrived at the retreat house - - very unsure of what I was going to be waking up to. It's bizarre arriving anywhere in the pitch black, but more so when you're traveling on a road that no one really frequents unless there's a need for it. Would there be all woods? Rolling hills? Were there other houses around? So many questions of what awaits in the light ... my mind couldn't quiet from the curiosity!

But the next morning, I woke up to this:


There's a song about this place, maybe not the exact place - - but close enough to it: 

Almost heaven, West Virginia 
Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River...

Almost heaven indeed - or what I imagine heaven would look like. Such quiet, pure nature, and the most amazing fall scenery. I was lucky enough to see Vermont this fall and Virginia - - colors I never remembered seeing before and smells of crispy fall. Fall seems more beautiful this year, is it just me? 

Here are some other photos from my walks on the grounds of Holy Cross Abbey: 







I hope your fall has been enjoyable!