TOMS

I'm not shy about the fact that I buy a lot of things for myself. Last year I got a rather extravagant gift for myself during Christmas time, but this year I decided to do it differently: TOMS. 


I recently finishing reading Start Something That Matters by the founder of TOMS, Blake Mycoskie. It was an incredibly inspiring read and though I was tempted to buy TOMS shoes for everyone in my family this year, I decided to just buy a pair, or two, well three, for myself (I heard my Dad's voice on Christmas day saying "shoes? you got us all shoes?").


TOMS' motto is "One for One" - for every pair of shoes you buy, they donate a pair to someone in need. Reading the book, I read all about their shoe drop-offs to poverty ridden areas. To think that people are so poor they don't even have their basics and aren't protecting their precious feet really struck me. Like I said, it was an inspiring read and helped me form my 2-year goal for the change of career I'm looking for. So I thank the book for that. But also for helping me realize how good it is to actually help people. While I wish I could do a shoe drop-off with TOMS, it was really awesome to buy three pairs of shoes and know that I was directly helping them help three people in need. 


Check out TOMS if you're not familiar with them already. They're comfortable simple shoes that make a difference with each step you take.