Pie #3: Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies

Well, this was a humbling experience. After a couple of successful pies and all around success with my baking lately, my attempt at hand pies pushed my confidence down. Way down. How disappointing!

I came across this recipe in Everyday Food thinking that a hand pie would be perfect for a trip to the beach over Memorial Day weekend. I had frozen blueberries in the height of blueberry season last year so I had to find a recipe to use them up so this fit the bill. Also I really love blueberries and liked the fact that I could bake a small treat (less calories and all that good stuff).

So I embarked on making the dough, from scratch. Then attempted to assemble the hand pies. That's when everything turned to the toilets. In my attempt to "fold" as the recipe so easily instructed, I realized something was very wrong with the dough. It wouldn't spread without tearing or fold without tearing or crumbling. Rather than waste all this stuff, I proceeded and just made little cups instead of pies.

This is how it turned out:

Did someone say blueberry wreath? Yea, I didn't think so...

But they actually came out good! And they ended up being a good beach snack:


So here's the thing - I still had a ton of blueberries in the freezer + this cream cheese filling I made for the recipe. I hate throwing things out so I decided to take a little walk to the store, buy dough, and make some blueberry pies for an airplane snack. 

I should just stick with store bought pie dough because then everything comes out perfect. Exhibit a: 









And exhibit b: the result: 


They don't look that beautiful, but they at least look like a hand pie, are triangle in shape not a circular, and were perfect to throw in a treat bag and eat it on the plane: 

They were quite delicious. The dough - perfect, of course. I don't know what to tell you to do if you decide to make your own dough to ensure it comes out normal and not wreath-like. I do feel like this pie was a cheat in the end, but I made an attempt at the dough so I'm not completely discounting this pie! I am 3 months behind on this project so I have to get a move on it!