In Season: Blackberries



I've been searching for blackberry recipes since they are in season. I'm not a fan of them raw, so I need to have them baked. I had the same issue with blueberries until about two years ago when I could finally stomach the taste of them raw. Weird, I know. I'm hoping blackberries grow on me. For now though, I'll eat them baked. 


Everyday Food always lists recipes by what's in season so when their latest issue arrived last week, I figured I'd find something in there for blackberries. Sure enough ... 


With Father's Day this past weekend, I had a good excuse to make muffins - - blackberry oat bran to be exact. They were excellent! Here's the recipe: 


Blackberry Oat Bran Muffins
from everyday food


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup oat bran
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp fine salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk**
1 1/2 cups chopped blackberries


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line 12 muffin cups with liners. 


Whisk together flour, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. 


In a large bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup sugar on high until light and fluffy. About 6 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with buttermilk and beat until combined. Fold in blackberries. 


Divide batter among muffin cups and sprinkle with remaining 1 tbsp of sugar. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer muffins to rack and cool completely. 


**I hardly ever use buttermilk when baking. I'll use a "substitute" which is 1 cup of milk and 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon - combine and let stand for 5 minutes