Pie #2: Chocolate Crunch Mud Pie

It's May and I've made all of 2 pies, what a bad new years resolution keeper I am this year! Last year, I was so good with baking a cookie every week and this time around, I can barely do one pie a month. Maybe it's my love of cookies/cupcakes/cakes trying to keep the spotlight and not share it with pies, but I really need to get on track and be better at this whole pie thing!

This second pie was easy and that wasn't done on purpose. I really found the ingredients yummy and chose to make the pie because of that - not because it required zero time in the oven (I'll be kicking myself in the summer months when I'm sweating it up kitchen with a 350 degree oven on and wishing I saved this pie for then.).

Now when I say that I found the ingredients yummy, it's because of this box:


I haven't had Rice Krispie's in forever. This pie was a good excuse to buy them again!


Blink and you'll miss this step-by-step process of making this pie:

The crust:



Crust formed:


About to mix:


With Cool Whip added:


Pour into prepared crust:


About to Freeze:


Freeze:


Serve:


See? So easy. So easy.

My co-worker/friend Lorraine and I enjoyed a slice of this pie and a cup of warm tea. It tasted like chocolate ice cream and I immediately regretted not making this in the summer months. Not to say I won't make this again, so this is a recipe for the books!

Here's the recipe:

Chocolate Crunch Mud Pie
from Country Living

Crust:
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 1/2 cups rice krispy cereal

Filling:
3 oz cream cheese, slightly softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
8 oz container frozen cool whip

Topping:
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped
Chocolate shavings

Mist a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Set Aside. Combine butter and chocolate chips in large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high setting for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring in 20-second intervals, until melted. Add rice cereal and stir to evenly coat with the chocolate mixtures. Press mixture into prepared pie plate. Freeze 1 - 2 hours until firm.

In bowl with electric mixer, beat next five ingredients until smooth. Fold in whipped topping. Spoon mixture evenly into prepared crust.

Freeze 4 hours or until firm. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, if desired.