Fudge Cocoa Cookies

I've made these cookies during my 52 cookies of 2011. But since I didn't renew that website for another year, I wanted to include the recipe on here - - because everyone needs to bake these cookies at least once in their life! I made them again the other night, needing to de-stress after a particularly hectic work week. They are delicious. I challenge you to just eat one, especially if you get a box looking like this:




Fudge Cocoa Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar, plus sugar for rolling
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
¾ cup cocoa
2 cups flour
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In bowl of mixer, cream butter and 2 cups sugar.
Add eggs and vanilla.
Blend until batter is soft and fluffy.
Add cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt.


Stir the dough until it is thick and well formed.


Roll a teaspoonful into a small ball and roll in granulated sugar.
Place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.Bake for 8 minutes.*
Cool for one minute before removing to a rack.
If your kitchen is warm, store the dough in the refrigerator between batches.


*For larger balls bake for 10 minutes.