Cookies for Christmas: Italian Rainbow Cookies


Move over Venieros, my homemade Italian Rainbow Cookies would win any throw down against you!  OK, I'll admit, they don't look exactly right. The cake parts came out too thick and I have to write myself a note to bake it in 9x11 pans, not brownie pans (consider this the note to self). But despite the width of the cookies, these were so so good. It's hard to eat just five. Ha! Not kidding.

These cookies require some patience since they are a nearly 3 day process. But seriously, so worth it. And honestly, during the holiday, it's refreshing to not spend hours in the kitchen slaving over a cookie. This one you can start on a Friday night and have it done on Sunday, with some work to be done Saturday for like 20 minutes.

Typically the colors are green, red, and yellow but to remain festive, I left the yellow out.

As predicted, these were a hit. I hope you take the time out to make them and enjoy them!

Here's the recipe.

Some tips:
*I added 1/2 tsp almond extract to up the almond flavor
*I used all raspberry jam, but next time may do half and half
*When melting the chocolate, add 1 tsp unsalted butter + 1 tbsp of heavy cream to prevent the chocolate from breaking while setting