NOLA Birthday Trip


Turning another year older is easier to do when you're traveling. Last year, I decided to start the tradition of leaving town for my birthday and the inaugural event was in Turks and Caicos. This year, I decided to stay stateside and visited New Orleans. What a good decision! It's such a lovely city, filled with Jazz sounds at every turn, the sweet smell of beignets, amazing food/drinks, and the friendliest of people. I'd return time and time again!

Here are some photo highlights:


Bourbon Street



An old horse tieback

Carnival masks in store window

Street Band on Royal St.

Cemetery Angel celebrating Mardi Gras

Cemetery

Another street musician

Zatarain's Advertisement

Carnival Mask

Had to try beignets everywhere we could, but the best was at Cafe du Monde. Why bother going anywhere else?! 

The French Quarter is the place to stay (we stayed at the Omni). You can take in all the wonderfully colored historic buildings.

Treme was a must, especially after seeing the series on HBO! We stumbled across this grave of an unknown slave outside of St. Augustine Church after their Jazz mass there. 

The 9th Ward is still feeling the Katrina Effects: 

Excellent Jazz sets at Preservation Hall:

You can't go to Louisiana without taking a swamp tour!



And you really can't go to NOLA without enjoying their food. My favorite (in my top five of best meals in my life so far) was at K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. I'd fly there just for a dinner.


Birthday dinner at Mr. B's


Some other places we went to: Coop's Place for red beans and rice & shrimp, Oceana for po'boys, Stanley's for breakfast, and Galatoire's (which, don't even get me started on, possibly the worst most discriminating service I'll ever have in my life).



NOLA was really a special place. I hope to make it there again and was so happy to bring another year in while there! The food, the people ... everything was so just special and memorable! 

And what's a trip without souvenirs: jazz on vinyl (nothing better!), spices by River Road (excellent by the way!), Leah's Pralines (most delicious), Hove perfume & powders (a must!), and jazz CDs from the French Market. All providing the tastes and sounds of NOLA while back at home!