Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Recently I realized I had a few too many opened bags of chocolate chip in the fridge. I buy them, use a half bag at a time, and keep them in the fridge for my next baking adventure. Rather than do the conventional chocolate chip cookie, I researched a different way to use them: in a cake. I hadn't done this yet and it seemed like a good idea. Well, it was. So much so that I baked this cake twice in a week!

It's delicious and sure to please the pickiest of eaters. 

Now I don't have the best picture of the cake because I forgot to take a photo of the whole cake and remembered as I was about to bite into the slice I cut for myself, so excuse this photo: 


And the second time I made the cake, I still forgot to take a photo since I was so excited about eating it. I hope you still bake the cake despite a not good representation here - -  it's really great and quite easy! And did I mention delicious?



Chocolate Chip Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 cups sour cream

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

3/4 teaspoon table salt
Filling and Topping

2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-x-13-inch baking pan. If not nonstick coated, cover the bottom with a rectangle of parchment paper. Set pan aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together into a separate bowl. Alternately mix in sour cream and then dry ingredients into butter mixture until both are used up and the batter is smooth and very thick. 
In a small dish, whisk together sugar and cinnamon for filling and topping.
Spread half the cake batter in the bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle with half of cinnamon-sugar mixture and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Dollop remaining cake batter over filling in spoonfuls. Use a rubber or offset spatula to gently spread it over the filling and smooth the top. Sprinkle batter with remaining cinnamon-sugar and remaining chocolate chips. With the palm of your hand, ever-so-gently press the chocolate chips a bit into the batter. No need to submerge them, you just want to make sure they adhere bit.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.