A Month of Thanks

It's been almost a year since I started this blog as a way to compile all the goodness I come across or make/create/bake in my own corner of the world. I've enjoyed it a lot and was looking at my first post about being thankful and not just being thankful only on Thanksgiving Day. I decided to do a "Month of Thanks" and post something that I've been thankful for this year, this week, or in this life so far. Here it goes! 

It's been one unforgettable week and was filled with many instances of giving thanks. My cousin Corinne was married last Sunday, 10/28 in the middle of Hurricane Sandy in Virginia. Luckily it was a steady rainfall and slightly heavier winds than usual. The rain didn't put a damper on anything that day, it was all smiles, laughter, and good times all around. Quite a memorable weekend for the family and the newlyweds. When Monday came around, all the family left Virginia to head back North to get home before the storm. Looking at the weather maps, I had no interest in traveling ahead, inside, or behind a hurricane. I was scheduled to fly home on Tuesday 10/30, but my flight had already been canceled, then rescheduled and canceled again. My parents and I stayed put and enjoyed more family time with the Virginians. Thankfully, the Northerners arrived home in one piece... my aunt being one of the last cars to cross the Goethal's bridge before it was closed to traffic. Sandy struck NJ & NY hard. What was harder was being removed from the city we call home through Wednesday the 31st. We were stunned by the news reports and what my brothers were telling us about what was happening on the phone. We did not expect anything to happen close to what actually happened. We expected another Irene. I think a lot of people expected the same. 

There's so much to be thankful for in this first week of November. First and foremost, Katrina had 1,833 fatalities, Sandy's is slightly above 110 at this point. While my brother's homes were both severely impacted by the storm, they and their families survived. Material possessions can be replaced, people cannot. 
I am thankful that my people are still here and were safe through this storm. 
I am also thankful for everyone who helped them and countless others who suffered destruction by cleaning out their destroyed homes. 
To the volunteers who gave up their time (and probably warm homes) to go out and clean-up/bring supplies. 
To the marathon runners who helped instead of turning around to go back home once the marathon was canceled. 
To FEMA, Red Cross, and all NYC and state workers. 
To those state workers from out of state coming to lend their trucks/supplies/working hands. 
To the private citizens who offered their professional services for free. 
To the dollars and supplies donated to various organizations and in return, those organizations helping to bring this city back to its feet again.  

Thank you.