The Maldives

Well, I think I found a place to add to the list of places to go with my new passport: The Maldives. 


Isolated: Check
Romantic: Check 
Quiet: Check
Island Paradise: Check Plus 


This is probably a good honeymoon spot, it's doubtful this is a family vacation spot. A 13-hour flight to Qatar, then another 5 hour flight to one of the islands is not something you want to do with some 10 year old! At least I wouldn't want to. 


After reading this article in Food & Wine, I became very intrigued by this place. The Maldives are in serious danger of being flooded away. As it is now, global warming is bleaching the coral reefs surrounding the islands. 


Have to see it now before there's nothing left to see! And it's worth mentioning that it's the smallest Asian country (in population and land mass), so if I visited, I could cross Asia off my bucket list of visiting every continent before I died! 


But in all seriousness, this country looks beautiful and peaceful. Since the land is really in danger of being all below sea level in our lifetime, the Maldivian government has begun using tourist profits to buy land for the Maldivian people in other parts of the world. So when/if the islands are flooded, they have another home to evacuate to. Very very sad to think their homes may be no more, but it does make you want to go visit them to help them with their future and also to see the beauty that they still call home.