Cookies for Christmas: Thumbprint Cookies


I'm attempting a large undertaking this Christmas: baking 12 different kinds of cookies over the course of 6 days. Not entirely sure I'll be able manage, but for now, I have about 7 cookies I want to do. We'll see where the other 5 come into play ...

I decided to do this because in all the hustle and bustle of the season, you need to slow down and really enjoy what it's all about: family, friends, special moments, cheer, merriness, and an overall appreciation of the absolute reason for the season. It's easy to get caught up in shopping and parties and exchanging presents, so why not spend time in the quiet of a kitchen playing carols and wearing a holiday apron?! That is what slows me down and helps me unwind through this chaotic season.

Today's cookie was a thumbprint cookie. Beyond easy to make and quite delicious. I've made similar cookies to this before, but by far, this was the easiest to make. These cookies are being used as presents for some neighbors of mine. I put them in a blue mason jar instead of a cookie box - something different and of course, the mason jar can be reused and doubles as another gift ;)



Christmas Cookie #1 
Thumbprint Cookies

1/2 lb butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
2 cups flower
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg yolk
Jam (for filling - I used blueberry and raspberry)

In a mixer, combine butter and sugar. Beat until a smooth cream is formed.

Add the flower, vanilla, and egg yolk. Blend well then put bowl in the fridge to chill.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll the dough into small balls and place onto a cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Using your thumb, indent the cookie in the center to make a crater. Place jam into the crater.

Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.