Power Breakfast

In an effort to get my body in the best possible shape (I am not having a great time getting old and squeaky...), I got myself a personal trainer. I see him three times a week and so far, 5 weeks into it, I'm feeling leaner, stronger, and lighter. I'm not terribly obsessed with losing weight since I don't want to look like a 14 year old boy like too many girls do, but I do want to be stronger and trust my body. It may be weird to say that I don't trust my body, but after a friend invited me rock climbing on more than one occasion, my saying no to him made me realize that I don't trust my body strength enough to not make any climbs.

So I'm at the gym working out three times a week from 8am forward. Which means I need a solid breakfast to keep me from fainting, powering through, and making it nearly the whole morning at work with enough energy. Since I have a bazillion stomach issues, I have been eating a lot of sweet potatoes lately. They have the necessary carbs I need to keep my fuel up all morning and are candida friendly!

I created this breakfast which may resemble more of a lunch to some people, but trust me when I say you could probably put an egg on anything to call it breakfast. This is my latest obsession and it can be made partly in advance to save you those precious moments of morning time. Enjoy!


Breakfast Hash with Sweet Potatoes, Brussel Sprouts, and Pomegranate 

1/2 sweet potato (peeled, boiled until just tender with a fork, then cubed)
1 cup of brussel sprouts (halved)
1 scallion (chopped)
1/4 cup pomegranate
2 tbsp water
salt & pepper to taste
1 egg, over easy

Heat olive oil in a pan, add brussel sprouts until they are slightly browned (about 8 minutes). Add green onions and mix for about a minute. Add cubed sweet potatoes and stir everything for about a minute. Add the 2 tbsp of water and cook until dried up. Add pomegranate and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan.

In a separate pan, make your egg. Place egg over hash.

Enjoy!

As I mentioned, you can save some time with that recipe and make it in advance. I boil the sweet potatoes in the evening so all I have to do in the morning is cube them. I also prep the sprouts and the scallion. I buy my pomegranates already seeded, but if you're working with a whole one, you'll want to prep that in advance as well so the seeds are on the dry side. 

I imagine you can make this all, minus the egg, in advance and just heat it up while you're making your egg. 

And I also imagine you can make your egg any way and it'll still be great. I just happen to like spready yolk over pretty much anything!